Maskwacîs is a Cree First Nation’s community in central Alberta that is home to 4 distinct Cree Nations: Ermineskin, Louis Bull, Montana and Samson.
MESC has been given a mandate from the Maskwacîs Chiefs and Councils to research the creation of a single education authority.
With the ongoing support of all Maskwacîs Chiefs and Councils, as well as the federal government, MESC has been working to explore the development and implementation of a single education authority for all of Maskwacîs.
The main objectives of establishing a single Maskwacîs education authority will be to:
- Ensure the educational success of Maskwacîs students (ECS-Gr.12) from Ermineskin Cree Nation, Louis Bull Tribe, Montana First Nation and Samson Cree Nation;
- Enhance supports and strengthen capacity to provide education to Maskwacîs students in order to increase the number of students attending school, completing high school, pursuing post-secondary education and/or entering the workforce;
- Utilize Indigenous knowledge and philosophy to support the preservation and revitalization of Cree language, culture, Cree natural laws and protocols;
- Establish standards for education that continue to meet or exceed provincial standards currently held by Alberta Education; and
- Ensure there is accountability to Maskwacîs Cree Nations and funders regarding the educational outcomes of Maskwacîs students.